Subject: Re: anti/Law
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:58:02 -0400 (EDT)

Brian Behlendorf writes:
> Free software means, to a larger extent, that you have no legacy - you
> can fix everything. If the 8.3 problem had been a free software problem,
> it would be long gone.

Hmm, well, maybe.  How about the 9-hop LSRR limit in IPv4?  The 32-bit
IP address limit?  The 32-bit off_t limit in x86 Linux?  The
8-character max on usernames?  Or do you think the problem with these
is that proprietary software is part of the equation?

Granted, these problems are being worked on, but they're not solved yet.

(I should note that I had a user on one of my systems called
'heartbeat' for a while.  It didn't crash anything, but lots of pieces
of software (like w) called it 'heartbea'.)

This is exactly how the World Wide Web works: the HTML files are the pithy
description on the paper tape, and your Web browser is Ronald Reagan.
  -- Neal Stephenson, at http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning_print.html