Subject: Re: OpenSources "opensourced"
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:16:49 +0900 (JST)

    Michael> On Wed, 19 May 1999, Michael Tiemann wrote:
    >> But I don't want people twisted what I said into things I did
    >> not say, and then attributing them to me.

    Michael> Who wants that? Copylefting the text does not give anyone
    Michael> permission to modify it and then attribute those
    Michael> modifications to you. But it does give anyone permission
    Michael> to modify it.

Thank you!  Amid rafts of vituperation, a beacon of clarity.

However, one must admit that the standards of attribution in most
copylefted source code leave a lot to be desired from the point of
view of authors of polemic (Benyamin Netanyahu was similarly trapped
to his dismay recently, although I assume the issue there was forgery,
not incomplete attribution).

This is a a pragmatic problem of implementation which we'll have to
address if we want pamphleteers and artists to use Copyleft; it
doesn't make `right-to-modify reserved' licenses open source, of course.