Subject: Re: OpenSources "opensourced"
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 20 May 1999 16:38:40 -0400

   Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 15:28:28 -0400
   From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>

   Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com> writes:

   >	"Free doesn't generate software revenue. It generates
   >        mindshare which then drives collateral revenue (training,
   >        services, software that builds on the free base).
   >
   >  Free software can generate revenue directly as well.  What are the
   >  folx at Cygnus doing?

   Can you still call it free software if the marketing department is
   vigorously discouraging the propagation of competitive numbers of
   gratis copies?

Are you implying that the Cygnus marketing department is vigorously
discouraging the propagation of competitive numbers of gratis copies?
Is that really a fair statement, or are you exaggerating for effect?
I certainly have never seen any evidence of vigorous discouraging, not
even when I was working at Cygnus.

I think it would be fair to say that the Cygnus marketing department
is not encouraging the propagation of gratis copies, but that is quite
a different matter.

Ian