Subject: Re: OpenSources "opensourced"
From: "Jesus M. Gonzalez" <jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 01:04:50 +0200 (CEST)

Kragen Sitaker writes:
 > On 20 May 1999, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
 > > Thanx for the offer.
 >
 > I must admit, I'm having a hard time following Rich Persaud's thoughts
 > too.  Either they are rather incoherent, or they are connected in ways
 > that are not obvious to my poor mind.
 >
 > >    Could you explain why it is necessary for us to be able to
 > >    manipulate the texts of these essays beyond what fair use, and
 > >    their present licenses provide us?
 >
 > - adding markup
 > - adding footnotes
 > - correcting typos
 > - maybe something else?

	- Translation (very important por people whose native language
is not English).
	- In some cases, updates (specially for case examples).

	All in all, a written text is just a piece of information, and
lots of benefit can be obtained from incrementally improving it. Of
course, that must be compatible with correct attribution to each of
the authors, if many.

		Jesus.

What's happening in the libre software community? ---> OR News
http://www.openresources.com/news/
Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona             | Departamento de Informatica
tel +3491 624 9458, fax +3491 624 9129 | Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
jgb@gsyc.inf.uc3m.es, jgb@computer.org | avd. Universidad, 30
Grupo de Sistemas y Comunicaciones     | 28911 Leganes, Spain