Subject: Re: OpenSources "opensourced" [real one, sorry for the premature emission]
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 08:22:31 +0900 (JST)

    Jesus> Kragen Sitaker writes:
    >> On 20 May 1999, Craig Brozefsky wrote: > Could you explain why
    >> it is necessary for us to be able to > manipulate the texts of
    >> these essays beyond what fair use, and > their present licenses
    >> provide us?
    >>
    >> - adding markup
[...]

    Jesus> 	All in all, a written text is just a piece of
    Jesus> information, and lots of benefit can be obtained from
    Jesus> incrementally improving it. Of course, that must be
    Jesus> compatible with correct attribution to each of the authors,
    Jesus> if many.

Not true.  In many libre licenses (although not GPL as I understand
it), all that needs to be done is to acknowledge the heritage of the
code.  As in academia, all bugs are presumed to be the responsibility
of the last person to touch the code, despite "standing on the
shoulders of giants" and "comments and reviews gratefully acknowledged."

So (like everything else in these purely legal constructs),
precision (but not accuracy) of attribution is an issue of the
preferences of the copyright holder.