Subject: Re: Exploring the limits of free software
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:38:54 +0100

Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> So I think I agree with your thesis that there may be more pressure on the
> OSS project maintainers to integrate code developed in the sXc, and that
> there is the risk of "bad code" being developed (code which doesn't
> generically solve the problem the way it should), but I'm hoping that the
> peer reviewer could play a role in helping mitigate this.

I hadn't really thought about this in the context of sXc, but it seems
to me that a sensible strategy would be to invite the project
maintainers to comment on the plan, or at least the results, of each sXc
project (that has to do with their free project). Then if things _do_
fail to get integrated, at least the reasons why will be available to
guide future attempts.

From what I've seen of people trying to get stuff integrated into
Apache, they usually fare much better if they ask before they write
code, than after.

Cheers,

Ben.

--