Subject: Re: the walls have ears
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 04:24:07 -0400

			    Of course, some people object to copyleft
    because they want to be free to allow third parties to use _their_ code
    in the third party's proprietary software.

I know what you mean, but these are not the people I'm talking about.
I am thinking of a different group of people.

The people you are talking about are free software developers.  They
can carry out their views by not using copyleft themselves, so they
don't necessarily feel there is a conflict between their decision not
to use copyleft and the GNU Project's decision to use it.  They don't
necessarily feel a need to grind an axe, because we don't stop them
from doing what they want.

The people I'm talking about are writing proprietary software (or are
executives of companies that do), and want to use OUR code in it.

Some use manipulative tactics to pressure people to change licenses to
permit that, and this can include public fault-finding.  Others are
not so strong about it, but do try to stretch whatever bad they can
find to say about the GNU Project.

On some issues, a significant fraction of criticism of the GNU Project
is of this kind.

	rms> Some of them are so selfish that they seek to manipulate the
	rms> situation purely in the hope of being allowed to use the code

    Um, they've announced this publically?

I reach these conclusion from consideration of their actions.
They don't admit this, but you wouldn't expect them to.

Perhaps you have never encountered that sort of person--if so, good
for you.