Subject: Re: the walls have ears
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 19:01:00 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

    rms> Some of them are so selfish that they seek to manipulate the
    rms> situation purely in the hope of being allowed to use the code

    SJT> Um, they've announced this publically?

    rms> I reach these conclusion from consideration of their actions.
    rms> They don't admit this, but you wouldn't expect them to.

    rms> Perhaps you have never encountered that sort of person--if
    rms> so, good for you.

Of course I have.  But when I make such a statement (including a word
expressing such confidence as "purely") in public and get called on
it, I am embarrassed.  Someone who is as sensitive as you are to
misinterpretations of your statements should be capable of similar
sensitivity with respect to your own (possible) misinterpretations of
others' statements or behavior.

It is usually true that one can come up with alternative, ethical
reasons for a given commercial or political behavior, as well as
purely selfish and unethical ones.