Subject: Re: Exploring the limits of free software: Cygnus, and GPL
From: craig@jcb-sc.com
Date: 25 May 1999 22:19:17 -0000

>All the better IMO, because the last thing we need is some group of
>wankers telling us we're not writing the right code.  I would wager
>that more time and energy was spent arguing about how KDE/GNOME or
>whatever are wasteful duplications of effort, than was actually
>duplicated between the two.

We've already *got* such groups -- they're called "standards committees",
they strongly influence things such as the C, C++, and Java languages
that, among others, form the basis of much of the new code being
written.

One problem with *those* committees is that they're populated by
people with strong interests in the proprietary-model of software
development and distribution, so they can tend to direct the
evolution of those products such that they don't capitalize on
the open-source model they way they might.

But, in general, I would say I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't
all just take the lead of whatever organization might spring up to say
"we're the GNU/Linux/OSS architectural group, do what we say".

I like the Debian model as explained.

Still, we might someday see (if it's not already in some ad-hoc form
today) some kind of "Star Chamber" of various OSS illuminati, who use
a combination of their public reputations and private interrelationships
to help direct the community towards what is worth working on and what
isn't, especially as regards platforms.

One question is, if that's the case, would it be better for them to
operate in the open as a group?

        tq vm, (burley)