Subject: Re: Exploring the limits of free software: Cygnus, and GPL
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 12:45:44 +0900 (JST)

    Michael> (Sure, no one can _control_ free software (Xemacs etc),
    Michael> but there can only be one FSF, one GNU.)

Only in name.  There is no reason why there can't be more than one
f.s.f.; Stallman might not personally support it, but who knows?  He
has offloaded development responsibility for gcc, he has expressed
willingness to do so for _Emacs_![1]  I doubt that he would suffer
reassignment of Emacs's copyright to some Foundation for the Promotion
of Free Software, but I see no reason why he would object to multiple
foundations managing various different projects.

He would I believe object to multiple GNUs, but that is on the grounds
of efficiency, redundant effort, not the principle.  Similarly, he
would strongly advocate that the various FS foundations coordinate their
legal strategies, perhaps sharing legal resources for strategic
purposes.  But there's a lot a paperwork with no economy of scale, and
I'm sure he would not object to dividing that up.

Footnotes:
[1]  To _XEmacs_, no less.  xemacs.org will not meet his conditions,
and I suspect he knew that; but his offer was _not_ empty, I am quite
sure.