Subject: Re: Exploring the limits of free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 14:20:40 +0900 (JST)

[CC list pruned, if you know somebody not on FSB got dropped, let me
know and I'll send it on.]

    g> EGCS, Apache and Linux currently avoid this problem through
    g> luck, design, and good maintainers, but I wonder if sXc will be
    g> able to do the same.  With money involved, there'll be a
    g> temptation for some to say "I paid for this to put it in" or
    g> "they are not putting this in because of financial issues."

But other people who paid for timely delivery will say "you want it,
pay for the time overrun" in the first case or "you want it, pay for
it or code it yourself" in the latter.  Ie, it will come down to the
same kind of political tug-of-war we know and love already; the
weights on the participants will be proportional to financial strength
rather than programming prowess or status as original author or
official maintainer.  Don't like that?  Don't use sXc, that's all.  Or
write contracts with explicit provisions about who decides (voting and
non-voting shares, eg).

sXc's comparative problem is that the bigger it gets, the more good
managers it will need to find; the others are single projects and
therefore by definition don't have to scale (except that Linux is a
single project that has reached the "scale-well-or-implode" stage---I
suspect it has passed the test).