Subject: Re: Exploring the limits of free software: Cygnus, and GPL
From: Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com>
Date: 26 May 1999 17:53:04 -0700

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp> writes:

>     >> Here's the kicker: if I figure out how to maximize social
>     >> benefit, I will probably be able to do the profit maximization
>     >> (and any combination in between) as a corollary.
>
>     Jean> And I will guess they are mutually exclusive solutions to
>     Jean> the equations that are the question.
>
> If that does make sense to you, then please explain the grounds for
> your guess.  I can think of some, but none of them apply as far as I
> know.

I believe what he was guessing is that the solution which maximizes
profit will not be the solution which maximizes social benefit.  With
profit being private accumulation of wealth or goods, and social
benefit being the production of the most public good.

Please remember that while you may be comfortable using common
economic definitions which do not have the same connotations in your
field as they do in general discourse, others here do not share your
background and therefor will have different understandings of the
terms you are using.  Also, as with any highly reified abstraction
such as econometrics, certain assumptions are being made which others
may not be willing to make.  You should be aware of these assumptions
and respect the fact that others may not share them.

--
Craig Brozefsky        <craig@red-bean.com>
Less matter, more form!      - Bruno Schulz