Subject: Re: the walls have ears
From: Alessandro Rubini <rubini@prosa.it>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 23:03:45 +0200

William Cheng:
> Are you free to sell your product without making your source code
> availabel to your customer?  Clearly, you can't if your code contains
> GPL'ed code!  So, using GPL'ed code limits my freedom as opposed to
> using some other free liecneses.

This is being repeated over and over. It's the "anti-gpl" leit motif,
as already outlined. But there's nothing new in what you say: it's
written in the GPL itself:

	  To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that
	forbid anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to
	surrender the rights.  These restrictions translate to certain
	responsibilities for you if you distribute copies of the
	software, or if you modify it.

> How is it possible to argue that I received more freedom when I
> chose to receive GPL'ed code instead of code under another free
> license?

The *author* chooses the licence. If you, as author of tgif, think
this way, than I'm very happy to choose the GPL for it instead of the
current non-free license.

Disclaimer: I don't attack who uses non-free licenses for his/her
software (although I wanted to write you anyways to talk about the
tgif license), so this is *not* an attack against your license. I am
just disappointed to hear an author of non-free sw arguing so strongly
against the GPL in name of freedom.

Best
/alessandro
--
/]o_     __ o  Tutto cio` che e` intelligente appare strano allo sprovveduto
\__/----_`\<,                                            (Zio Paperone)