Subject: Re: the walls have ears
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:52:34 +0100

R. Brock Lynn wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Businesses that wouldn't use Apache under GPL will under BSD. They then
> > discover that being free is more convenient (i.e. cheaper) than not
> > being free. So, we get where we all want to be. That's the theory,
> > anyway.
>
> Heh, so the BSD license will eventually lead to a switch to the GPL?

That's not what I said. The BSD licence leads to more free software.

> Perhaps, but then that's about like saying that Marijuana use leads to cocaine,
> crack, and heroin use, which has been scientifically proven otherwise... But
> that's a different topic altogether.

If I'd said it, it might be like dope->smack, but I didn't.

> Why don't we all just use the GPL in the first place. And then later on the
> pressure to use GPL'd software will be so intense that companies will start
> having to restructure in order to accommodate it's superior "business model".
>
> As to the question of which Free License is ultimately best for businesses, it's
> the GPL hands down.
>
> If you don't believe me, then time will ultimately show us...

Quite. Why should I believe you? I see no evidence to support the
theory.

And, BTW, time will not show us what is best, it will show us what gets
used most. Exhibit A: Microsoft. I rest my case, distressing though I
find it.

Cheers,

Ben.

--