Subject: Re: From a mere reader
From: "R. Brock Lynn" <brock@cyberdude.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 06:31:05 -0500

"S.L. Kochanski" wrote:
> How - I keep wondering - do the luminaries of the free software world *eat*??

Well luminary I could be, software developer I'm not. I eat free software a lot
well sort of. I'm a systems administrator and have held two jobs over the past
two years each dealing with GNU/Linux systems. Both at ISP's in the Southern
Louisiana area, in the US. (Red Hat Linux, Intel and SPARC [got rid of Solaris
to have a more homogeneous environment], then Slackware and Debian) And let me
tell you, systems administrators... just **LOVE** Free Software.

If you want to win over the systems administrators with your product, just GPL
it, or similar, and get it out there. Then if the product is worthy, and
administrators can see other extended uses for it, perhaps they can convince
their bosses that it'd be worth it to pay you to enhance the product, but
continuing to keep it "free".

--Brock Lynn

---------------------  PGP key ID: FED76A3D <brock@cyberdude.com> 4 / 5 / 1999

   __ _    Debian GNU           R. Brock Lynn <brock@nettronix.net>
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   http://www.debian.org/ irc.openprojects.net
 / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /                  'Free Software'
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <   Remember that's "Free" as in Freedom, not "Free" as
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   in price!   Debian's the Greatest!