Subject: Re: People only buy support for bad software ?!?
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 2 Jun 1999 15:31:07 -0400

   Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:21:40 -0400
   From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>

   What will you accept as internal supporting evidence?  Something like
   the minutes of a meeting where a business plans to deliberately write
   a program poorly?

   People don't tend to write that stuff down, ya know.

No, of course not.  However, this is a list with people from a wide
range of backgrounds, many of know a lot of other people.  I am asking
whether anybody on this list can and will report any cases they know
of where a program was intentionally written badly.

It is quite possible that nobody will, and I know that absence of
evidence is not evidence of absence.

However, I feel that your arguments are based on innuendo and
conspiracy theory, neither of which I find convincing, and which in
fact make me less rather than more inclined to believe you.  This is
particularly the case since you have made comments about Cygnus which
I know to be false under a reasonable interpretation (I'm referring
specifically to your suggestion that the Cygnus marketing department
vigorously discourages gratis copies of the Cygnus sources).

I am curious whether anybody could describe anything more concrete.
I'm not looking for proof.  I'm just looking for something more
persuasive than I've seen from you.

Ian