Subject: Re: People only buy support for bad software ?!?
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 01:07:52 -0400

> This is particularly the case since you have made comments about
> Cygnus which I know to be false under a reasonable interpretation
> (I'm referring specifically to your suggestion that the Cygnus
> marketing department vigorously discourages gratis copies of the
> Cygnus sources).

I'm sure they have some strategy to prevent or reduce revenue loss
from customer prospects downloading gratis copies.  I didn't attend
their marketing meetings, I don't know exactly what their plan is.
*If I had attended those meetings, I would be legally prevented from
disclosing their plan.* "Vigorously" may be subtle in practice.  If
they took a lot of positive actions they might stir things up more
than if they just discouraged customers that broke ranks with FUD.  I
concluded it was vigorous because of how important it seemed to be
financially, and how well it seems to have worked.

Speculation?  Yes.  Informed speculation?  Yes.  Think of it as
business plan reverse engineering.

> I feel that your arguments are based on innuendo and conspiracy
> theory

I prefer to say that while some of the bread crumbs are missing, I can
still follow the trail.  There are good business, legal, and
reputational reasons why I don't expect anyone here to admit publicly
to deliberately writing software poorly.

ObConspiracy: "See?  You have no evidence!  I told you there were
space aliens living undetectably among us!"

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu