Subject: Re: What is an FSB (was Re: Sun, BSD, and GNU )
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@cse.ogi.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 11:18:07 -0700

John McDermott wrote:

> Just what is an FSB?  Maybe we need some sort of consensus if not for the
> current discussions then for later ones.

Why would we care?  Does a company get a hero biscuit or a merit badge if they
pass a critical threshold for being a FSB?

I propose instead that we consider "free software business" to be a verb instead
of a noun.  FSB is then an activity that any company can engage in.  You can
then just say "My company is Foo % FSB", and it is unambiguous.  Microsoft
engaging in 1% FSB is very likely a marketing activity, and can operate as a
loss leader.  Red Hat engaging in near 100% FSB is treating FSB as a profit
center:  it has to survive on its own merits.

Crispin
-----
 Crispin Cowan, Research Assistant Professor of Computer Science, OGI
    NEW:  Protect Your Linux Host with StackGuard'd Programs  :FREE
       http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/immunix/StackGuard/

              Microsoft:  Putting the "lame" in "layman"