Subject: Re: (Was Car Repair) OSD has better clause against deliberate obfuscation than GPL?
From: "R. Brock Lynn" <brock@cyberdude.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:50:13 -0500

"R. Brock Lynn" wrote:

> "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

> >           cat local.sh | sed -e 's/#.*$//' | distributed.sh

And perhaps stripping out comments is considered withholding source code too...
because it's not the "preferred form" of the source code to modify it (at least
not for me). I would much rather prefer to modify code that had comments than
code that did not.

Hmm. Perhaps the GPL needs to also clearly specify that comments are to be
considered as part of the source code?

If nothing else keep the current "definition", if you will, that is used in the
GPLv2 for "source code" and then augment it with supporting examples, one being
"no deliberate obfuscation" and another being, "no withholding or mangling of
comments".

Hmm... I hope the industry doesn't get to the point where these really nasty
legal issues will rear their ugly heads... *sigh*...

--Brock

---------------------  PGP key ID: FED76A3D <brock@cyberdude.com> 4 / 5 / 1999

   __ _    Debian GNU           R. Brock Lynn <brock@nettronix.net>
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   http://www.debian.org/ irc.openprojects.net
 / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /                  'Free Software'
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <   Remember that's "Free" as in Freedom, not "Free" as
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   in price!   Debian's the Greatest!