Subject: Re: GPL appropriate for business
From: "R. Brock Lynn" <brock@cyberdude.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 02:34:52 -0500

Russell Nelson wrote:

> I'm not the only person who views the GPL as the most appropriate for
> software businesses:
>
> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=99/06/14/1513235&cid=55

Very good real world experience... What some people lack in foresight, I guess
they can make up for in the school of hard knocks... And hopefully the rest of
us can learn from others' hard won knowledge w/o having to graduate also with a
diploma from the school of hard knocks.

"Get burnt by a license that allows non-free forks and then change the license
to one that does not allow them." Ouila.

I have a feeling more and more that as people and their free coding projects get
"burnt" by licenses that allow non-free forks, they will soon gravitate towards
licenses such as the GPLv2, that do not allow non-free forks, and thus protect
themselves, their projects, and the business(es) from exploitation w/o
compensation.

This is not meant as a set up to an "I told you so" so much as it is a
"something to think about" in planning which licenses to use for a free software
project business.

--Brock

---------------------  PGP key ID: FED76A3D <brock@cyberdude.com> 4 / 5 / 1999

   __ _    Debian GNU           R. Brock Lynn <brock@nettronix.net>
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   http://www.debian.org/ irc.openprojects.net
 / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /                  'Free Software'
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <   Remember that's "Free" as in Freedom, not "Free" as
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   in price!   Debian's the Greatest!