Subject: Re: GPL business practice question
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

Stig Hackvan [sorry, I don't have a Compose key] asks:
> I've heard that there are some very high-value software packages that
> are like this...customers get full source and the GPL, but it's not in
> their interests to redistribute the software, so they don't.  Did this
> sitation arise because of the goodwill and trusting relationship in
> theis software transactions, or was the vendor stuck with the GPL
> because they used GPLed software in their product?

I have heard that Cygnus does this, and I thought GNAT did too.

> Also, i recall that there's something unique about the delayed public
> release approach employed by the developers of a GPLed ADA
> implementation.  right?

GNAT.  I'd heard they were doing the same thing you describe above, but
I don't know; go look.

According to my medieval text in the seventh century a finalizer raised a
dead object named Gorth who infected every computer in Cappidocia ending
Roman rule in the region.  -- Charles Fiterman on gclist@iecc.com