Subject: Re: Unexercisable rights
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 23 Jun 1999 16:52:50 -0400

   Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:13:02 -0400
   From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>

   > Me, because I charged you $20M?

   Yes.  The price is so high that you've eliminated any practical
   opportunity for gratis redistribution.  I believe this puts a serious
   dent in calling the essay libre.

I say that you abandoned the right (to the extent to which you did
abandon it, a topic I will not address here) by agreeing to pay $20M
for something which you could not afford to give away at that price.
I never took it from you.

Consider, if Bill Gates bought the essay he would not lose any rights
by anybody's definition, because he would never notice if he lost
$20M.

On the other hand, if I charge $100 to give the essay to a third world
peasant, by your argument I would have taken his or her right to
redistribute the essay, although at that price I would not have taken
your right.

So in the end you are going to have to say that the only way I can
avoid taking away anybody's right of redistribution is to give the
essay for free.

That violates my common sense definition of ``right.''  So I think I
have to ask you to define ``right,'' so we can see whether we are
talking about the same sort of thing.

Ian