Subject: Re: Payment?!
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:39:22 -0400

> If I'm to be paid $xx/hour for something, I'll get a job. Or sell my
> body: it's less work, less soul-destroying, and you can think of
> other things while you're doing it.

Hmmm, I get paid $xx/year to write software, and I'm not complaining.
I don't have to sell my body, either, nor do I feel my soul has been
destroyed, and I think of lots of things while I'm doing it.

Isn't the point of FSB to talk about free software *businesses*?
I.e. we *are* talking about jobs.

> Surely the point of investing time . . .

The point of investing time is to gain something in return.  What that
something is varies from person to person.  I know some people that
toil endlessly for the sake of cash itself.  I know others who toil
only for their values.  I toil to build a new house for my family.

It's impossible (or at least futile) to state that one particular goal
fits everyone's desires.  It certainly doesn't fit mine.  I program
because I enjoy it, and because it pays the bills.  If I happen to get
rich and famous doing so, cool, but that's way down on my priority
list.

Do you ever go to the movies?  Surely you could have spent that time
aggrandizing yourself instead...