Subject: Re: EROS license
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 27 Jun 1999 21:59:03 -0400

   Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 21:42:57 -0400
   From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>

   > I'm trying to convince Ian (and presumably others) that they benefit
   > from encouraging authors to give up most of their proprietary rights
   > in return for the ability to dual-license.

   Except that Ian is describing the contributor's point of view, where
   giving up rights to the original author doesn't usually benefit the
   contributor (except, perhaps, very indirectly).

Yes, that's right.

I am further trying to point out that FSBs which want to attract
contributions need to think very seriously about how to make them
happen.  The OSI web pages make it seems as though it just happens,
but that is not my experience.  I believe the licensing issues are a
key aspect of this.

Ian