Subject: Re: EROS license
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:13:55 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "craig" == craig  <craig@jcb-sc.com> writes:

    craig> For example, I can take any arbitrary recent patch
    craig> submitted to the EGCS project and use it in a proprietary
    craig> *unreleased* product, e.g. make it part of a server on the
    craig> net, or whatever.  The contributor of that patch cannot use
    craig> that code in the same way, because I might have mixed it in
    craig> with code to which he does not access (such as my own,
    craig> unreleased code).

I don't get the point.  I can do the same with any GPL code, as long
as I don't redistribute.

Rights that don't involve redistribution are inherently symmetric for
GPLed code, although the specific exercise of those rights may be
asymmetric, as in your example.