Subject: Re: EROS license
From: shapj@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:46:07 -0400

I just wanted to note in passing in the middle of all of this that the EROS
license has gotten steadily less intrusive over time, and that the thoughts and
insights from this list have been a major reason for this.

One reason that the change hasn't been faster is that rights, once given up,
cannot be taken back. One wants to give them up cautiously.  The "deprecated
hardware" clause in the current EROS license is a good case in point -- it was
not sufficiently carefully considered, and allowed too much binary usage.  Now
that it's out there, I would be unable to fix it were it not for the fact that
the current code won't get widely used (due to attributes of the code, not the
license).

In the course of arguing what's the best way, don't think that I (and others) am
not listening.

Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph. D.
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Email: shapj@us.ibm.com