Subject: Re: embedded systems [was Re: EROS license]
From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:27:06 -0400

> If one does this, then (as some of the people on this list have
> pointed out in connection with the EROS licenses) one risks losing
> the participation of the open source community.

That's why I said "if done right".  It depends on the percentage of
GPL vs proprietary use by the manufacturer, the percentage of
contributed vs author changes, and the way the different releases are
managed.  For example, changes contributed to Cygnus are put in the
public version first, and only Cygnus-authored changes are allowed to
be in the private versions first, and only because we make a strong
point of serving the public (and have for many years) do people trust
our intentions sufficiently to decide to contribute.

The FSF requires assignment to them; they could give permission for
proprietary use if they felt it was in the best interests of the
community also.  People contribute to them anyway because they trust
them to do what's best for the community.  Until an FSB earns that
trust, requiring such assignments is a much larger risk.

> Let us (for a moment) proceed on the model that the software *can*
> be updated and see where we get.

If/when that becomes practical (I know modems are already there),
the situation changes, yes.