Subject: Re: BitKeeper
From: shapj@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:13:36 -0400

>I believe Larry rejects even the idea of permitting the testsuite to
>change with a special exception for always testing the use license.
>He really does want to require that the entire testsuite pass.

This may also reflect the fact that Larry had a lot of problems with lmbench in
which people wanted to run just part of the benchmark suite and then compare the
results to other systems.  I believe his view in that case was that such
comparisons dilute the value of the benchmark suite as a whole, and therefore
dilute his reputation.

Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph. D.
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Email: shapj@us.ibm.com