Subject: Re: Servers running modified versions of free programs
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:38:43 -0400

    There is a spectrum there and I can't think of a solid legal term for
    separating what is clearly a stretch (as above) and what would probably be
    more directly obvious as non-private use (the ability to upload .c files
    for compilation by a modified GCC, to go back to an earlier example.)

To make the distinction, it would be necessary to find a way to draw
the line.  It doesn't have to be "perfectly right", but it does have
to be fairly clear.  I haven't thought of a good way yet to do this.