Subject: Re: Returns to service professionals (was Re: New ESR paper: The Magic Cauldron)
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:15:28 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "g" == D V Henkel-Wallace <gumby@zembu.com> writes:

    g> At 17:12 06-07-99 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> You'll note that MS-Word now writes HTML; it will be writing
    >> XML shortly.

    g> This is not necessarily what craig was talking about however.
    g> Microsoft's use of HTML isn't particularly standards-compliant
    g> (tho better in a syntactic sense than semantic).

Agreed.  However, Netscape has become somewhat a better citizen.
Microsoft as well.  Attempts to hijack standards have gotten MSFT a
lot of bad press.

I'm well aware of Microsoft's rude behavior with respect to standards
(eg, registering all of those code pages as MIME charsets, then not
publishing a public URL for them---this is a massive PITA here in
Japan where there are no less than three MIME charsets in common use
in email, despite RFC-ISO-2022-JP: one _must_ make your mailer be
pretty strict about not displaying unknown stuff since the
non-ASCII-graphic characters tend to snafu your terminal).  I just
don't think they can get away with it indefinitely, though.

Not that that's an excuse for not being noisy about it where we can.