Subject: Re: Free software and free music have some similar problems.
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:12:13 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
---
I disagree, presuming that you mean "information distribution", rather
than "book distribution channels".  A $50 book typically results in a
$2.50 royalty to the author.  Everything else goes to the publisher
(and associated suppliers) and the distribution chain.  So, 95% of the
money is not getting to the author.  There aren't any villains in the
piece, really; it just costs a lot to print up, ship, and store paper.
---

 ... well ... often not ... but have you ever looked at the
net profit of Reed Elsevier for scientific journals.
Around 30% last time I heard ... and authors do not get paid,
and libraries run out of money.

 Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469
                  CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX