Subject: Re: Free software and free music have some similar problems.
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:21:58 +0200 (MET DST)

I unfortunately do not have time to reply in detail to the various
contribution (must leave for a trip, no computer).

  There is one fundamental point that is missing in much of the reasonning:

It asssumes that we keep the same procedures on electronic media...
but ther is no reason to do so. Selection of good papers
can be done after publication (actually it is already the case
with preprints). Management of publication can be
entirely automated (no cost  ... see the Ginsparg serveur
used in several fields). Paper selection can be made by those people
who read the paper through  presonnal interest and have
(acquire) reognition as reviewers. Copy editing, can be done
by independant professionals, when truly necessaary. Dating
ca be done by electrinic means... and electronic archives
can be maintained ... and have been in the past.

 Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469
                  CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX