Subject: Re: Free software and free music have some similar problems.
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 02:39:21 +0900 (JST)

    Jonathan> In the discussion on free music, I'm surprised nobody
    Jonathan> mentioned the Grateful Dead model...

And more.  Good points, all.  I don't think that that model can really
get past niche markets.  No evidence for that opinion, and I really,
_really_ hope I'm wrong.  But it worked well for the Dead ... and for
Linux.  (GNU is a little bit different, since there is a full-time
organization behind the distributed distribution model; Linux free
rides on that, of course, but it's not like Linus Torvalds was out for
"World Domination"[1], which Richard Stallman was and is.)

Footnotes:
[1]  In case it isn't obvious already, let me say that RMS does not
think in terms of domination by market forces, but rather in terms of
technical and social superiority.  But Linus is much more of a
pluralist than that.