Subject: Re: cars & code
From: Jean Camp <Jean_Camp@harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:30:20 -0400

I was reaching for an example not related to software where the
organizations are network v hierarchy. I was reading, "The Rise of the
Network Society" (Castells, Manuel) where he discusses the differences
between the Japanese/Korean/Chinese business networks.  The manufacturing
base loss resonates well with policy students, who can then be reminded
that leadership in software is also not a divine and never-changing natural
attribute of America (as assumed, for example, by crypto policy.) But if it
will work it certainly needs to be refined along the lines suggested.

Thanks for the input.  I will put some more thought into trying to get a
powerful comparison that might fit well with the student's perspective.
More thoughts are welcome.

-Jean