Subject: Re: New angle on the patent problem
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:25:35 +0200

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 04:11:50PM -0400, shapj@us.ibm.com wrote:
> While I agree with his view on the merit of softare patents, Craig
> omits an important point that contributed to their adoption:
> software patent was already established outside the US.

Where ? not in Europe ... we do not have it yet, and corporations take
argument from US patents to try introducing them in Europe.

> Rules that maintain a zero-sum game across national boundaries are
> generally a good thing.  If we were to succeed at getting them
> abandoned in the US, we would then be at a disadvantage in
> international trade.  The trick, if anybody cares to tackle it, is
> to get them abandoned universally.

and I believe that the country taht does not have them has a
competitive advantage, since its companies can always patent abroad,
while having no local constraints on technology development.

--
Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469