Subject: Re: New angle on the patent problem
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:13:31 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "shapj" == shapj  <shapj@us.ibm.com> writes:

    shapj> This is why the GPL, in spite of being written in
    shapj> relatively human readable English and in spite of being a
    shapj> fairly ambiguous license, is still enforceable in practice.

Citations to cases which actually went to court (not necessarily
decided there)?

    shapj> It's meaning may not be clear to lawyers, but it is very
    shapj> clear to the community.

This sounds like a very profitable opportunity for the lawyers, with
little reason to suppose that the language will be interpreted as the
community hopes.

Do you have reason to believe otherwise?  IANAL, In Fact I Am An
Economist, and have to fight to overcome my early training in
distrusting lawyers' incentives.