Subject: Re: EY invests in online patent exchange
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:18:44 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "rn" == Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:

    rn> Right.  And while the "creating markets" part is what we're
    rn> here for, the "case against software patents isn't".

I think I disagree.  I perceive a very strong link between the
difference between hardware patents (which make sense) and software
patents (which don't, but I don't know why I think that), and the
difference between a "free hardware business" (nonsense) and a free
software business (good, if not common, sense).  (Obviously, I'm not
talking about the cost of materials.)

As far as I can tell, the commonly cited "case against software
patents" really doesn't address that in a form which bears on the
trade-offs to innovation in a way that can be used in forming policy.

That much said, as I can't explain my perception of linkage, I'll
explore it in other channels
(http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Research/OSS/sw-patent/, which has
no content yet ;-) and report back if I come up with something
concrete.