Subject: Re: EY invests in online patent exchange
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:17:10 +0900 (JST)

    Ian> Gordon Irlam and Ross Williams did a plausible analysis of
    Ian> that a while ago:

Which explicitly disclaims _economic_ analysis.  It explains why
developers (in a strict sense) don't like it: it makes the
management/legal aspects of developing software far more important.
It doesn't surprise me that even big company developers dislike it.
But that doesn't prove that it's socially bad.

But the same argument can be applied to contract law in general.
Nobody in the U.S. likes lawyers, but I assure you that a few weeks of
watching how large companies, and even individual professionals (eg,
doctors) run roughshod over smaller interests would give pause.

There's a lot of interesting commentary there, but turning it into
economics is still going to be work.

Thanks for the URL!