Subject: A patent solution that is no solution
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:59:52 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

[Brian Behlendorf writes:]

      For those companies who wish to turbocharge GCC and are willing
    to pay for those patents, being able to do so easily would be great.

    rms> If some companies want such features added to GCC, and they
    rms> want it badly enough to spend money to get it, I would tell
    rms> them this: "Pool your money to buy a license that covers
    rms> *all* users."

Including downstream Derivative Works, of course.

That's not a license, that's buying the patent outright, for any
application where a standalone "helper application" that could be
published under the GPL and "merely aggregated" with the main product
would suffice.  Heck, you could write a kernel module (for a free OS,
of course) and turn the function into a system call if you need
efficiency.

As far as I can see, anyway.  I will cheer loudly if someone wants to
do that, but it does raise the ante a lira or two.