Subject: Re: Why software patents are bad
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:22:06 -0700

> I presume that open source software is good for society -- better than
> closed source software.  If I'm right, then software patents are bad
> for society, because it's easier to find patent infringements when the
> source code is available.
>
> I didn't think that was a particularly profound observation, but
> someone whose knowledge and background I respect told me that he'd
> never heard it said before.  So, I'm saying it.

I don't think this line of reasoning holds up at all.  Consider: "I presume
that companies whose employment conditions are out in the open are better
for society than companies who hide their employment conditions.  If I'm
right, then worker protection laws are bad for society, because it's easier
to find violations of them when the company isn't hiding their employment
conditions."

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734