Subject: Re: Why software patents are bad
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:52:32 +0200

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 12:15:28PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Bernard Lang wrote:
> >
> > and back to another point... open source does not provide fees
> > necessary for patents applications...
>
> This is equivalent to saying that open source | free software isn't a
> viable business model.  Do you really mean this?  We differ on
> conclusion and implied premise.

No... I believe that open source ppermits viable business models, but
not the kind of abusive profits that can be wasted on patenting every
idea that comes about. Patents application are expensive, and going to
court is too.

It can feed the people who do the work, but not an army of parasitic
lawyers.

I more or less agree with the rest, though I still believe it is
better to publish in a hard to find way, so as to make it harder to
file without the risk of being invalidated. If the info is found,
patent lawyer can work their way aroud it.

--
Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469