Subject: Re: Viral anti-pessimism
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:46:49 +0200

Dear sir,

  You nasty remarks are needed by no one

  Richard Stallman does split hair on occasion, granted.
  As it turns out, this hair splitting is usually needed and useful.

  Richard may not always be fun. But what nice easy going fellow can
choose a goal and stick to it for twenty years, against all odds and
common wisdom, to finally show the world that he has been right all
along.

  Without Richard, this list would not exist, Linux would not exist,
and Linus would probably be some very successful engineer in a Finnish
software company.

  However there would be one positive side to it. We probably would
not have the opportunity to read you.

Bernard Lang

On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 12:12:43PM -0700, Stig Hackvšn wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 12:36:56AM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > This week, when giving a speech, I asked the audience whether they
> > considered "viral" a term of praise or condemnation.  Only a handful
> > raised their hands for praise; most of the room considered it
> > condemnation.
>
> Embrace and extend, then.
>
> The description will not go away just because you want it to.  You can feel
> wounded all the time, or you can turn it to your own purposes (which I almost
> shudder to suggest considering the way that you've been hairsplittingly
> difficult over the word "free")...

Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469
                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX