Subject: Re: How do you convince IBM to oppose software patents?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:08:08 +0900 (JST)

>>>>> "kms" == Karsten M Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

    kms> Such tier pricing makes managing licensing of a portfolio a
    kms> much simpler exercise than haggling each patent.

One of many reasons, some of which are currently under development
under names such as "sourceXchange",[1] to be very careful about
predicting a software patent Doomsday.  (Not that you did; but many
do.)

Footnotes:
[1]  Although I'm sure the developers would be horrified to have that
application made, if the market technology is open-sourced, the patent
exchanges will use it; it's made-to-order, I should think.