Subject: Value pricing again
From: "Karsten M. Self" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:16:43 +0000

This time it's an article in IT Director saying that software pricing is
based on value.  I'd expect someone who's actually *in* business to know
how markets work.

The TANSTAAFL twist is also a new dig.

> Value, so goes the adage, equates to benefits minus costs.
> Traditionally the main use of computing power has been
> seen as to reduce costs. More recently, the advent of the
> Web has enabled businesses to dramatically increase
> benefits. By itself, IT is pure cost, so it must be pitched
> against the resulting cost savings or the increased
> business that it enables.

Karsten M. Self (

SAS for Linux:
Mailing list:  "subscribe sas-linux" to
 11:10am  up 4 days, 14:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.13, 0.09