Subject: Re: brands, trademarks, and the GPL
From: bruce@perens.com
Date: 27 Sep 1999 21:07:07 -0000

> Hmm.  I really hope there's not a problem here.  We've committed ourselves
> to developing and releasing our products under the GPL, but need to do so in
> ways which don't dilute the strength of our trademarks as they go through
> the registration process.

You are not required to accept the next version of the GPL and its changes.
You may continue to use Version 2. You are also able to formulate yet another
Open Source license that preserves trademark rights, if that's what is
necessary.

Certification marks (a special form of trademark) just seem custom-made for
this task. I suggest you consult an attorney regarding how existing ones are
used and how you might use them with a licensing scheme or a certification
program, etc.

	Thanks

	Bruce