Subject: Patent Cross-License Agreement
From: Mark Shewmaker <mark@primefactor.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:24:07 -0400

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to put together a patent cross-licensing agreement that's
somewhat similar to John Walker's
http://www.fourmilab.ch/autofile/www/chapter2_105.html and the LPF's
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/mutual-def.html , and more recently
Bruce Perens'
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1998-11/lw-11-thesource.html
and rms's http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/microsoft-antitrust.html .

I've been pointed to this discussion list as a place where people
are talking about doing something similar.

I don't know if I'll be helping or hindering things or stepping on anyone's
toes or not by bringing my effort so far to your attention, but here goes
anyway.

The license as I've written it so far, and the web site for it have not
gotten to the point where I'd want to publicize them widely, much less
be slashdotted, nor have I yet gotten any corporate backing, but if any
of you are interested in looking at the license as it currently exists,
it's at http://www.openpatents.org/ .  (It's htaccess protected with a
username of "opl" and a password of "freethinker".  I'd rather not distribute
the info widely until I've got something that corporations would at
least find somewhat acceptable; I would welcome help in making it more
palatable to them, hence this post.)

I do warn you that the license is only in the draft stages.  It's
*very* long and can give you migraines after a simple glance.
It obviously needs a lot of editing yet.  If anyone is interested,
that's great.  If not, that's fine too.

(From what I know of this list, I would like to participate in the
discussions here, but let me know if you'd rather I not continue
to bring up this other patent cross-licensing effort.)

Thanks,

 -Mark Shewmaker
  mark@primefactor.com