Subject: Re: "Community Source License" vs. "Public License"
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:49:28 +0900 (JST)

    >> GNU started the tradition of naming a free software license
    >> "Foo Public License".

    DJ> But the FSF uses the GNU *General* public license.  The trend
    DJ> should have been "Foo General Public License" or "Foo GPL".

My interpretation of that has always been "public" means the license
is available to any member of the public, and "general" means "this is
the last Public License that you'll ever need."  I guess you could
always reassociate as "((General Public) License)" but that's sort of
redundant.

Obviously, any YAPL has proved that claim of generality untrue, so it
had better be a little modest about making the claim itself. ;-)