Subject: Re: An anti-FSB idea
From: Phil Hughes <fyl@fylz.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 07:42:20 -0800 (PDT)

> Cirrus Logic has a bunch of neat serial port controllers, including
> async and sync controllers.  They're just begging to be soldered to
> boards, if only they had the right software for the right OSes (e.g.
> Linux).

The Cyclades 8-port serial board is based in the Cirrus Logic RISC chips.
I managed to convice Cyclades that Linux users would be interested and got
them to spring for a board and some documentation.
Randy Bentson wrote a driver for it.

Then we (Linux Journal) convinced Cyclades to run a small ad in the same
issue as the article on Randy's driver appeared.  Someone called on
Thursday to order some SSC publications and told us that they had just
talked to Cyclades and that response had been so strong from the Linux
community that they had sold out on the boards they had in stock.

The result, as I see it, is that Cyclades, a little company, just gained a
market nitche, Linux gained support of new hardware and other
manufacturers will have one more reason to want to support the Linux
community.

[If you are looking for the article on the Cyclades driver it is in the
September issue of Linux Journal.]

--
Phil Hughes -- fyl@fylz.com -- (206)526-2919 -- FAX: (206)526-0803
FYL -- 8315 Lake City Way NE -- Suite 207 -- Seattle, WA 98115