Subject: Re: [ppc-mobo] Re: GPL-like hardware design license?
From: Tom Geller <tom@tgeller.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:55:43 -0700

On 10/4/99 10:24 AM, rms@gnu.org intimated:

>I think this is basically impossible; I wrote an article
>explaining the reasons, which was published in Linux Today.
>It may be in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ as well.

The specific URL is <http://linuxtoday.com/stories/6993.html>.

Correct me if I'm way off, but I gathered from the article two arguments
against a free hardware license:

* Free hardware is harder to produce

* The firmware inside the components is not free

These are both true, but neither makes a hardware license "impossible".
It won't be as deep as licenses applied to GNU projects (i.e. it'll stop
at the board's components), and fewer people will have the resources to
utilize the benefits of a free hardware license. But it still seems both
possible and worthwhile.

---
Tom Geller  *  Geller Communications  *  San Francisco
  Domains: tgeller.com, openppc.org, suespammers.org