Subject: Re: "On Virus" -- get real
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 5 Oct 1999 11:39:33 -0400

   Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 05:34:45 -0400
   From: "Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna@gate.net>

   Perhaps you didn't adequately convey meaning when you used the term
   "marketing," which to me denotes "selling" and connotes "willfully
   shading a meaning so that it will sell better."

This is the Free Software Business list.  ``Marketing'' is not a dirty
word here.  It also doesn't mean ``willfully shading a meaning so that
it will sell better;'' the phrase for that is ``high pressure sales,''
or ``false advertising,'' or ``lying.''

In the business world, ``marketing'' covers a number of related
concepts.  One of them is figuring out how to present your product so
that your target market (there's that word again, I guess) understands
its benefits.  If you want to sell a word processor, you can call it
``a full featured word smithing program'' or you can call it ``yet
another clone of WordPro.''  Both may be true--no willful shading
here.  Marketing helps tell you which one to say--specifically, you
say the one which better communicates the benefits of your product to
your target market.

Ian